Thursday, May 13, 2010

Unit 4 Week 1 Response



As I mentioned in my introductory blog, I am not only a citizen of my country. I am a global citizen; a citizen of the world. Everyone is. So how should I respond to Globalization? As an individual? As a member of my country? As a member of the world? I have come to a few small conclusions on this after reading this weeks assigned pages in my social text.

I learned that basic needs, obviously, are not the same for everyone. You can't just make a list of basic needs for people and say that they are best suited for everyone. Of course, everyone needs water, food, and shelter to survive. However, depending on the individual person, their culture, and their country and surroundings, they will have different needs. Who decides what is best for all people? What is best for the individual? A single country? The world, as a collective? Who should be the one making decisions?

I also think that, on the topic of Human Rights, everyone should be treated fairly. Whether it be on an individual, national, or global scale, everyone deserves to be treated equally and fairly. But once again, who decides what these rights should be? Who decides if people should be treated the same, or differently, and for what reasons? And how much of a say do we, as citizens, have in these decisions?

The American Constitution and Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms can reflect this. I believe that the responses from people across Canada to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms reflects my earlier points about citizenship, basic needs, and human rights. Some people thought, and still think, the Constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms are great, while others disagree with them. This just proves that you cannot please everyone, and that everyone has individual needs and opinions.

I think it is wrong that transnational corporations move factories to places where they can hire people for cheap, and where there are low environmental regulations. Also, when people's rights are abused and Human Rights violations occur. All in the name of saving and earning money, while spending less. Are people's quality of life not worth more than the manufacturing of goods and services so wealthier people can have a much better quality of life? Are they not entitled to better pay and a safe work environment? It seems that the world revolves around money. Saving it, having as much of it as possible. Do we really value our own money and quality of life over other people's lives? Families? Are people any less than us just because they have less money? The answer is no. Transnationals should not be able to do these things.

Also, why should people pay so much for water? Understandably, for bottled and other contained water, the containers and plastics needed cost money. But a tiny bottle of water can cost up to $3.00 sometimes! Is this not taking advantage of the fact that water is essential, and we cannot survive without it? What is even more unbelievable is when developing countries must pay for water, and sometimes, a lot more than we pay for it. In many countries, the water supplies are contaminated, which can kill people. How is it fair to them to have to pay so much for water? Especially when the water pollution may not even be the fault of the people living there. People in some countries don't even get paid enough a day to afford a bottle of water from a developed country.

Human trafficking is a big issue in many countries; most of the time we hear about these events occurring in developing countries. However, they occur in developed countries as well, including Canada and the United States. What is being doing about this? Who is in charge of stopping this or getting the situation under control?

I believe that the Internet is both good and bad. People can communicate and share their ideas. However, the digital divide prevents the opportunity for all people to share their views, ideas, opinions, etc. People without the technology to participate in this global sharing of thoughts and opinion probably have no way of sharing their views and opinions in a way in which they can be heard. How does this affect us all as global citizens? How does this affect those who cannot participate in using the Internet?

After reading about these things and thinking about them, I have realized a few ways in which I can respond to globalization. I can respond to globalization by stating my opinions and sharing my concerns with the world. I can also respond by standing up for people who may not have the opportunity to do so. I also need to know my rights and stand for them. I need to offer my opinion of what is fair and what is just. I can also respond to globalization by being aware of political elections and, when I'm old enough, taking the time to vote for someone I think could make my country better. By doing these things, I can help improve not only my country, but the global world.

1 comment:

  1. 1xbet korean | Bet in Online Betting
    1xbet korean. Bet in Online Betting. 1xbet korean. Place your 1xbet korea bet at our official 1xbet website.

    ReplyDelete