Thursday, May 27, 2010

Unit 4 Week 3 Response

This week I learned a lot about issues in communities and how I can personally respond to things from virtual communities to pandemics.

Virtual communities are as popular as traditional communities today. People can use the internet to share their ideas and opinions, raise awareness on topics or controversial issues, meet new people....the possibilities of virtual communities seem endless. Virtual Communities can shape people's identities; that is why it is important to respond to them correctly. I can respond to this by being respectful and responsible on the Web, and remember to act like I would if I was sharing my opinions in a traditional community.

There is a lot of controversy when it comes to the topic of transnational corportions. Many people think transnational corporations are good for the economy and for people's well-being, however, many would disagree. There are many positive and negative points when it comes to transnational corporations. Let's use Wal-Mart as an example:
Negative:
  • employees are paid low wages
  • few benefits, such as health care, are offered
  • Since the prices are so low, Wal-Mart can eliminate local competition

Positive:

  • cheap prices
  • new stores can stimulate economic activity in the community
  • new products may become available
  • Wal-Mart has been known to support fundraisers and make donations

There are many reasons why transnational corporations are "good" or "bad", and Wal-Mart is just one example. Personally, I can respond to these issues by deciding whether or not I want to support a store, and encourage others to do the same.

Blood Oil is not acceptable to me. Are people so greedy that they would murder other people for natural resources? Why is this even allowed? I think that specific laws should be made to prevent blood oil issues to occur. I can respond to this by raising awareness on the topic.

I think that the WHO (World Health Organization) is a very good organization. The WHO monitors global health security. I believe that it is important to track and isolate breakouts of sicknesses. I think that it isn't fair that in developed countries people have such easy access to vaccinations and medical care and then don't do enough to help developing or underdeveloped countries. Entire generations are dying because they don't have access to the right sanitary conditions or medical care. I can respond to this by donating to organizations, holding fundraisers, or even just raising simple awareness of the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment